At Struggly, we are giving our best to make our platform accessible to the widest possible audience. Therefore, our goal is to constantly increase the accessibility and usability on our website.
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) provided by World Wide Web Consortium define clear ways on how to setup websites in the most accessible and user-friendly way for all audiences. They define three levels of conformance: A, AA, and AAA.
As of now the public part of struggly.com (everything that does not require users to be logged in) is conformant with WCAG 2.1 level AA.
Although Struggly strives to adhere the accepted standards, it is not always possible to do so in all areas of the website. As we primarily introduce new learning methods based on visualizing mathematical tasks, a full use of the website cannot be guaranteed for visually impaired users at all times. Due to the required screen estate of our tasks, we're also not able to provide them on smaller screens, e.g. mobile phones.
In accordance to our values of not excluding certain user groups, we are in an ongoing process of optimization and already offer existing alternatives in those cases. This may include the download of PDF versions which are compatible with screen readers.
Measures to support accessibility
Here is a list with actions we have already taken to meet our accepted guidelines and standards:
- Subtitles on all video content that includes audio
- Keyboard support wherever possible
- Screen-reader friendly content (excluding our games)
- Clear focus indicators for all interactive elements
- Sufficient color contrast ratio according to WCAG 2.1 AA
- PDF downloads as alternatives to interactive, visual games
- options for people with color blindness
In order to measure effectiveness of our actions we are investing into tests and other methods, including the following:
- Automated testing via TestCafe and axe
- Self-evaluation of screen reader support using Apple's VoiceOver
- Non-representative interviews
- Best practice research
We are constantly looking for solutions to improve the overall experience at Struggly.com for everyone. If you have any difficulties in using our website or feedback concerning our accessibility, please feel free to contact us at any time: [email protected].